Wednesday, January 9, 2008

thing #8

I am adding to this post because I have now had time to enjoy or be annoyed by some of my feeds. I love my Willow Web feed. I am using this as a model for podcasts in my library program. It is helpful to give the kids an example of what I want them to produce. I found that I don't really like all the news feeds I subscribed to. I found that I had too many and they were more annoying rather than informative. I did like the one daily summary feed though so I kept it. Google Reader made it simple to change my subscriptions as I discovered what I liked and disliked.

When learning about RSS feeds, I chose to work with Google Reader. I am trying to keep things as streamlined as possible so that the tools I am learning to work with do not become too overwhelming. In doing so I decided to revisit a previous task (thing #7) and create a home page in iGoogle. I love the idea of the RSS feed. We are all so busy and having one place where I can go to check for updates is so easy. I added more subscriptions than I thought I would.

As far as feeds go, my next goal is to learn how to make a website feed to subscribers. I am working with three 5th grade Science classes on podcasts. Once they are ready to post, I would like people to be able to subscribe.

2 comments:

Midnight said...

I have grown to love my Google Reader. Now, I have my news, library-related blogs, preschool activities, and movie times all in one place. The best thing for me is that I can quickly scan the preview sentence and only read the certain articles.

mmw said...

Keep us updated on your progress in getting a feed for your podcasts!